Monday, 17 November 2014

old tv cabinets

Monday, 17 November 2014
In 2001, we purchased new furniture for an older style home. We went for solid, wooden furniture at a premium price, as we wanted these items to last indefinitely. They've been remarkably sturdy over the years, surviving two previous moves and two toddlers!

The old tv cabinets were originally a 3 piece set, which sat side-by side (no images unfortunately) but it wasn't designed for flat screen televisions. It was made in the era of the chunky, deep tv's, which we upgraded several years ago.


As deep as the chest freezer (right)


It's now being used as a storage cupboard, with the help of a small gingham curtain across the opening. It hides the toilet rolls I stockpile, as well as the fabric shopping bags we use every week. I know it would be useful as storage in the new place, but its incredibly deep, so I wonder if it will be difficult to find a space wide enough to house it, in a smaller house?

Should I take an electric saw to it, and sheer off a few centimetres from the back, or just leave it and hope for the best?


Part of the set


The two slightly narrower, cabinets, which once sat on either side of the tv cabinet, are now pushed together to look like one unit. It lives in the lounge room, and stores Sarah's gaming accessories, games, family DVD's and videos.

Although I'm attached to this furniture, because its the first major purchase we made as a couple (and new house owners) part of me wonders if I should just sell the whole lot, as is? But who owns chunky televisions anymore? We'd still have to purchase new storage furniture too.

We spent about $5,000 on these pieces (along with a solid wooden dinning set, coffee table plus wool carpet) and while I believe they're solid pieces, worth all the money we spent back THEN, what are they worth now? I'm not talking, dollars and cents, but are they worth moving to a place they may not be suitable for?

Any thoughts and experiences with re-purposing or upgrading furniture to suit the place you now live?

9 comments:

  1. I'd consider moving it and if it's unsuitable, you can still always sell it then. :) If it fits then you haven't spent unnecessary money or moved on a piece that would have worked.

    We just invested in a dining setting custom made as we needed something solid and that was built to outlast 3 high octane children. It is worth the money spent but depreciation is a scary thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sturdy tables and chairs are definitely worth spending good money on. Who doesn't use one, and they can last a lifetime?

    Although we did squeeze our six seater into our smaller, older style home, formerly. Which meant we effectively had a five seater,, as one chair had to be pushed against the wall to access the others.

    You've given me something to contemplate though, so thanks for casting your pebble in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd try to sell it first thought the side cabinets are too lovely to sell if you ask me. If you want to alter it, here is what I would do. I'd lop off the entire top leaving the drawers. I'd take the top slab of wood and place it on top of the drawers and depending on what I want it for, I'd either uphulster the top for a seating bench in a hall way (assuming its high enough) or I'd leave the top plain and place it at the foot of a bed. Its hard to tell where it can fit down the line if you don't know where you are moving to. Can you store your larger pieces until you buy a home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can hire a shed, but I'd rather not if possible. It may end up we have to, but in the meantime I'll continue to go through our stuff.

    Cleaned out the two side cabinets the other day, and all three of us were able to get rid of things we no longer use. I used to have a large box of CD's, but now I have a small one I can fit in my bedside table, which is mostly empty. I'm finding space, and that's exciting!

    I do like the two side cabinets and will most likely keep those. What will happen to the tv cabinet though, is still under debate. Decisions, decisions. I've got a few other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rid of extras is a wonderful feeling in itself. I wish you luck:)

      Delete
  5. I like them, but then I do like good solid stuff. It's hard to get these days without paying a lot of money. I'd wait till you get to the new house and see how they go. You'd regret it if you got rid of them and then decided they'd have been OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good old stuff, lasts, doesn't it? That's why I'm reluctant to pass them on, but I still needed to examine the process. The new digs will be a challenge because we will only be able to afford "small" houses. But we'll get to that particular bridge later. Thanks for dropping in. :)

      Delete
  6. Yes Chris, I would keep them till you move if they are of good quality. We have one of thise TV cabinets and still have a chunky TV. It will die one day I guess but I really don't want to get rid of the cabinet even though it is from a garage sale like most of our furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for keeping the old tv. The colour tube went in ours. Garage sale furniture can be better than some of the things second-hand shops sell, and more reasonably priced. I am leaning towards keeping at this stage, but will have to renovate the tv cabinet, just to make it more functional. I know I waste a lot of space in it, and that won't do in a smaller house where space is a premium.

      Delete

Throw your pebble into the pool...

Thinking small in a big world...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP