Friday, 14 November 2014

one income family

Friday, 14 November 2014
Between weeping and hope, lies serenity



We received some news recently, which we were expecting. Another private food contractor, won the tender for the military bases my husband was working at. So employees had to reapply for their jobs with the new contractor. David's application wasn't successful.

That may seem like bad news, but he's worked for the new contractor previously; and they were into reducing overheads while maximizing staff output. He was looking for work, well before receiving his notice.

Happily, he's found a new job in Toowoomba, so no more travelling between two different venues, as he was with the military bases. It will effectively halve his commuting time. The trade-off will be, he has to work weekends and he'll be a casual employee again, so no holiday or sick pay.

Our small virtue is, we're not really any worse off. Change is always the hardest part.

10 comments:

  1. Nice to see you keeping your hand into blogging. :) Interesting turn of events and it sounds as though everything is turning out well. I'm very glad for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. I hope those goats are keeping you busy (and happy). :)

      Delete
  2. Well you're keeping me on my toes! I'll pop this address in my reader. I look forward to seeing your progress. I'm sure it won't take you long to develop a productive town block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope that will be the case - making a productive block...eventually. We will probably have to rent first though. I'll be moving a lot of plants in containers so I'll always have a garden to potter around with.

      Delete
  3. it's great to see that things are unfolding in positive ways for you. Seems like Toowoomba is beckoning;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is -but some days its a struggle. Either I already want to be there, or I'm finding it hard to think of leaving. I just have to live in the moment, that's what I keep telling myself. Emotions can come and go, but what I do in the moment is what brings change.

      Delete
    2. I went through that. Our move up here was epic-took 3 years if you recall. All that time I did actually want to leave Chicago so for me it was anguish. However it did afford me the time to let go of the place. I don't know about you, but I think leaving faster is easier in many ways. I work best with short deadlines.

      Delete
    3. Yikes, three years! Letting go is what we are experiencing the process of too. A one-year turnaround, is our expectation, but every day is that little bit closer.

      Delete
  4. Chris, glad your hubby got a job up here especially at this time of year. I am sure you will love it here on top of the hill :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will too. We have lived in Toowoomba before, but left seven years ago. It has changed a lot (has become more expensive) but will try to find a place for us nonetheless.

      As a chef, David's amassed quite a few old work colleagues, where he's gotten other work opportunities before. This time he spotted a new venue which had just recently opened, and went door knocking. They needed someone rather desperately. He couldn't take the job at the time though, as he wanted to finish the last few months at his present workplace.

      When he touched base again, they hadn't managed to fill the position. People would apply but not stick at it or give consistency with their product, which is important to a food venue. There is good and bad involved in the hospitality industry, but we're very fortunate it can still pay the bills. :)

      Delete

Throw your pebble into the pool...

Thinking small in a big world...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP