Monday, 24 November 2014

pulling up roots

Monday, 24 November 2014
When it comes to selling, we want to clean-up those areas around the house which need it. Like the two vegetable gardens I tried using on the western side of the house.


West facing hotbeds


They've never really been successful as vegetable beds, because its simply too hot and dry. So it was time to cut my losses and start pulling up roots. The last of the cherry tomatoes were picked, and it was time to remove the garden stakes too.


More open, with the garden stakes gone


I have one of the former vegetable beds done, and the plant I have chosen for this location is old-man saltbush. It's a drought tolerant species and isn't fussy about soils. Thank goodness for that.


Old-man saltbush cutting x3 to each bed


This was a cutting I took (6 in total) from an existing plant. They were extremely easy to strike with 100% success rate. Free landscaping material for a little effort in propagation. I wish I had changed the beds over sooner, as these will do much better, year round, than sensitive vegetables with small windows of growing opportunity. With a bit of regular pruning it will grow into a nice silver hedge.

Thank goodness its a fast grower too!


Pretty parsley


I even left a parsley going to seed, as it was food for beneficial insects. Especially since it wasn't in the way of planting. Once I collect the seeds I'll remove it.

This is just one of the many beautification projects we have going. I'm also taking a lot of propagation material to move with us. It's nice to know we'll be leaving a strong legacy of plants behind, as well as spreading them to another location too. That's the budding hope of what all plants attempt to do in nature anyway.

Are there places in your garden which need a good rethink?

6 comments:

  1. I think most of my garden could use more thought. I started a butterfly prairie garden last year which will probably take off next spring but I under estimated the height of some plants- I was thinking of color rather than shape. I'll have to move things around. I hope to simplify a lot in general.
    I was going to ask you if your mum wouldn't hang on to some of your container plants if you move to an apartment first. I know how hard you've worked at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my mum would if I asked her to, but she's considering selling her place too. We've got a few alternative plans on the table, so we should be covered. Its a mental placebo to take the plants with me though. Where my family and plants go, I'll be happy. :)

      That butterfly prairie sounds gorgeous. I'm guessing whatever grows there will self seed. I wonder if nature will re-organise the positioning for you?

      Delete
  2. Chris, my hubby just plants stuff everywhere unfortunately. I would love an ordered garden but it is not to be :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me too! Why not plant vegetable beds in the hottest part of the garden? As long as they're not native plants though (or really mature) nearly all other plants can be transplanted.

      Happy accidents can come from a haphazard garden too. As long as its all growing, its working. :)

      Delete
  3. We're rethinking the whole thing. Invasive perennial "wiregrass" smothers and chokes out everything if given a chance. I lament that I can't have permanent beds, but I finally have to admit that I can't keep the stuff under control. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does that mean your vegetable beds, will move around with the pigs? Just wondering if you're giving them up completely, or just changing how they're managed? I'm not doing vegetables now, because my efforts will be stretched thin, until we move.

    I have some grasses which invade my non vegetable beds, and the only way I've really held them at bay, is through competition. But it can take some time for shrubs to grow. I am often pulling grass, but then I'm feeding them to our chickens and guinea pigs too.

    Your pigs will be really helpful though, if you are intending to move your production beds with them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Throw your pebble into the pool...

Thinking small in a big world...

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP