Career changes

 



Stepping outside the office of my new job. I've wanted to share my career changes for a while, but it's had its share of misfires. Long before children, property and permaculture, I was a Legal Secretary in training. After moving to a rural city though, I left Admin behind. I haven't regretted the tree-change but re-entering the workforce after a 20-year gap came with challenges.

I still found a job though. Just not in Admin. It was for an industrial sized Nursery, supplying farmers with seedlings. Ag-sector stuff. Then I got a part-paid position for the school Tuckshop. Soon afterwards came a job in retail (Target). At one crazy point I was working those 3 jobs at the same time.

I really wanted to return to Admin though. There were some initial promising responses. The job I have now, was a position I ranked high in the interview but didn't get the job. Then I was offered a position as a Medical Receptionist. Which surprisingly went south after the practice manager had a change of mind.




I got a call-back for this job (again) and here I am eating lunch at work a month later. I'm settling in the new team, and finding my feet again. As I was typing invoices recently though, I recognised one of the customers' names. Then another one. It dawned on me, I'm typing invoices for farms I once grew seedlings for!

Only now my new employers, install precision Ag equipment to tractors. It's a lesson to do your best with what you're given and finding promotion along the way. Having worked on my property on a much smaller scale, it's nice to talk shop with farmers who know all about seasonal work too.

Although I will be leaving my property towards the end of the year, I still have a connection to land. Hundreds of thousands of acres of land. Through being dedicated to my job, I help other people manage their land. However distant that connection is - it's still comforting to me. Small Virtues.


CREDITS:

 Image by CK: on Small Virtues

Comments

  1. Sounds like it's been a rather uncertain and unexpected path to getting settled into the work world again. Such a great example of making the best of it by doing our best. Attitude makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been filled with uncertain turns and unexpected destinations. But attitude can make or break how you feel about it. That rainbow just had God's promise written all over it though. I've never seen one that big, complete or right where I was standing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Throw your pebble into the pool...

Popular posts from this blog

Reopening this space